Tuesday 25 August 2009

So what do you do when the block comes?

Creative block and what does it mean?
I think for most creative’s this can be a serious condition, especially if your livelihood depends on it, so what can you do?

Well I once read a book by Hillman Curtis and in there was a quote which said something along the lines of “rediscover a master” and in that they meant go back to a master painter, writer, sculptor, in fact anyone who first inspired you to do what you do.

When I was painting in watercolour two artists really did it for me, Turner and Rowland Hilder and I think even though I didn’t know it at the time going back and reading their books and looking at their work did inspire me to try new and different things, so when I started KMiDigital I always held that thought that when the ‘block’ came I had a look at some of the designers who inspire me and see what they were doing.

So then comes the question are you stealing or copying their work, not at all as everything comes in cycles and to ‘borrow something then put it back’ is fine all the greats have done it.



How do you deal with creative block, we would really like to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment